Moroccan Beet Salad
- 5 medium beets, washed/scrubbed
- 1/2 cup minced red onion
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh parsley
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh cilantro (coriander)
- 1 1/2 tsp cumin seeds*
- 1 1/4 tsp kosher salt*
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 Tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- Fill a large stock pot (or pressure cooker) with water, enough to cover the beets by at least 2 inches. Bring to a boil and reduce heat to medium-high (water should continue to boil). Allow the beets to cook for approximately 50-60 minutes (or 30 minutes in a pressure cooker). The beets are ready when the skin easily comes off and you can pierce the flesh with a knife or fork with no resistance.
- Drain the beets. Fill the sink or a large bowl with water and lots of ice; soak the beets for 30 minutes.
- While the beets are cooling down, heat a small frying/sauté pan over medium heat. Add cumin seeds to the pan and “roast” them for 2-3 minutes, stirring constantly. Grind the roasted cumin seeds in an electric coffee/spice mill or by hand using a mortar and pestle.
- In a small bowl, combine the red onion, parsley, cilantro, roasted ground cumin, salt, pepper, olive oil and fresh lemon juice; mix well and set aside.
- When the beets have cooled down, remove the skins (should slide right off), trim the tops/ends and cut into 1/2 inch (bite-sized) cubes.
- Combine the beets and the onion/herb mixture in a large bowl and gently stir until the beets are evenly coated.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve (will hold in the refrigerator for a few days). Enjoy!
Please like & share:
The following two tabs change content below.
Jamie has literally worked every job in a gym over the past 10 years and has a better understanding then most gym owners as to what makes a successful fitness facility. Jamie has been with KDR Fitness from the beginning and has been integral in bringing the business to where it is now. As a mom she brings the perspective of our target audience, i.e. women/moms looking to lose weight, get stronger and feel empowered to the heart of the business. She makes sure that KDR Fitness stays true to its core values and that customer service is our number one priority.
Latest posts by Jamie (see all)
- KDR Healthy Eats: Green Salad with Beets, Oranges & Avocado - April 24, 2018
- KDR Healthy Eats: Grilled Chicken and Strawberry Spring Rolls - April 24, 2018
- KDR Healthy Eats: Crispy Zucchini Tacos - April 24, 2018