Moroccan Beet Salad
- 5 medium beets, washed/scrubbed
- 1/2 cup minced red onion
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh parsley
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh cilantro (coriander)
- 1 1/2 tsp cumin seeds*
- 1 1/4 tsp kosher salt*
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 Tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- Fill a large stock pot (or pressure cooker) with water, enough to cover the beets by at least 2 inches. Bring to a boil and reduce heat to medium-high (water should continue to boil). Allow the beets to cook for approximately 50-60 minutes (or 30 minutes in a pressure cooker). The beets are ready when the skin easily comes off and you can pierce the flesh with a knife or fork with no resistance.
- Drain the beets. Fill the sink or a large bowl with water and lots of ice; soak the beets for 30 minutes.
- While the beets are cooling down, heat a small frying/sauté pan over medium heat. Add cumin seeds to the pan and “roast” them for 2-3 minutes, stirring constantly. Grind the roasted cumin seeds in an electric coffee/spice mill or by hand using a mortar and pestle.
- In a small bowl, combine the red onion, parsley, cilantro, roasted ground cumin, salt, pepper, olive oil and fresh lemon juice; mix well and set aside.
- When the beets have cooled down, remove the skins (should slide right off), trim the tops/ends and cut into 1/2 inch (bite-sized) cubes.
- Combine the beets and the onion/herb mixture in a large bowl and gently stir until the beets are evenly coated.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve (will hold in the refrigerator for a few days). Enjoy!
Latest posts by Jamie (see all)
- KDR Healthy Eats: Green Salad with Beets, Oranges & Avocado - April 24, 2018
- KDR Healthy Eats: Grilled Chicken and Strawberry Spring Rolls - April 24, 2018
- KDR Healthy Eats: Crispy Zucchini Tacos - April 24, 2018
More Articles To Read...
Green Salad with Beets, Oranges & Avocado Ingredients: 4 cups leafy greens (I used a chard/kale/arugula/spinach mix) 3 small oranges, peeled and sliced into rounds 1…Read More
Grilled Chicken and Strawberry Spring Rolls Ingredients: Spring Rolls 8-10 spring roll wrappers 1 large grilled chicken breast, thinly sliced 1/2 of an English cucumber,…Read More